Sunday, September 26, 2004

Funny System crash - quoting from [Bacula-users] mailing list

About twice a year I succeed in crashing Linux, usually by hitting ctl-C

while something is going on with my tape drive. Well, tonight, I
totally froze my system. Even the little CPU meter stopped working. At
the same time, the CPU was going full out -- I can tell because the
cooling fan starts speeding up.

What is interesting is that I noticed the num-lock and caps-lock lights
blinking in a way that reminded me of something. After a few minutes, I
realized it was sending Morris code. Now, my Morris code is *really*
rusty, and though I know all the letters, I cannot recognize them very
fast, so I got:

..-. then waited until the message repeated and got ..-. .- , then
again (really painful) ..-. .- - and so on. I finally gave up after
getting:

..-. .- - .- .-.. . .-. .-. --- .-. (etc)

For those of you who do not read Morris code:

..-. .- - .- .-.. . .-. .-. --- .-.
F A T A L E R R O R ...

Linux is funny :-)

No comments: